I have decided that, no matter what, I am going to maintain a positive outlook on life. Now, I have troubles, my life hasn’t all been a bowl of cherries, but I have learned that how I react to negative factors is really all that matters. Sure, bad things will happen, it’s a fact of life. On the flip-side, so will good. I believe it’s high-time I start placing all my focus on the good and let the bad slip away. Life isn’t going to be perfect, but enjoying all the goodness will certainly help! So, in that vein, here are six things I’ve been doing that are helping me stay positive and focused on the good.
1. Count your blessings. Seriously. Wake up in the morning and, if nothing else comes to mind, be happy with the fact that you’ve woken up to another day. It sure beats the alternative! Today is another opportunity to feel good and accomplish positive things.
2. Look outside. Is it raining? (I live in Oregon, so this is a very common occurrence!). Think how happy all the flowers and tress will be for the rain. Is it sunny? Think about all the good Vitamin D you can soak up free, thanks to Mother Nature.
3. Read something inspirational. This is my favorite sight for quotes: inspirational; motivational; humorous; etc.: http://www.great-quotes.com I often browse through them!
4. Make a list of things you are grateful for and refer to it whenever you’re feeling down. Keep it handy!
5. Choose to look at the silver lining. This is NOT always easy. It is something I have to continually and consciously make an effort to do. I can lean toward being a pessimist and work constantly on turning my focus to the positive, optimistic point of view. This is an ongoing process – something I work on each and every day. Like everyone else, I am a work in progress! 😀
6. Surround yourself with the most positive people you can. Negativity seems to rub off. Conversely, positivity is contagious, too. If you notice you have more negative influences in your life, try to seek out new relationships that will bring more positive energy into the mix.
This list is a small compilation of some things I work on and think about. In the end, I believe that maintaining a positive outlook has to come from within. I am striving to bring out the most positive aspects of myself. I hope you can, too!